Clean Water for Children
Roll over image to zoom in
Give the gift of clean water to children in the developing world!
Access to clean water is the single most important issue facing children the world over, and the most vital resource we can provide to ensure them a better quality of life.
Splash (formerly A Child's Right) is a non-profit organization working to provide children in developing countries with access to clean and safe drinking water. Splash staff have worked in the most extreme conditions, with some of the worst water imaginable. In all instances, they have been able to provide every location with clean and safe drinking water for years to come.
You can help! This Gift That Gives More™ provides clean water for children in need, through Splash. You can choose to direct your donation towards the project that needs it most, or choose the country where you would like to help:
- Clean water for children in Ethiopia. The average health clinic in Ethiopia serves 300 - 400 children per year, while the average orphanage houses between 50 and 200 children, almost all of whom have been orphaned by HIV/AIDS.
- Clean water for children in China. Large orphanages in China care for hundreds of children and elderly, with an average of 500 children per facility.
- Clean water for children in Cambodia. The average children's health clinic in Cambodia serves 500 to 1,000 children a year, while the average school serves 1,000 children.
- Clean water for children in Nepal. There is a need for clean water in schools serving hundreds of children.
- Clean water for children in Vietnam: both children living with the effects of dioxin contamination, and children served by some of Vietnam's largest pediatric hospitals.
- Clean water for children in Thailand in orphanages for children with disabilities.
The water systems most frequently installed are ultrafiltration (UF) and ultraviolet (UV) water purification systems, the same ones used in most bottling plants and hospitals in the United States. They are capable of cleaning 300 - 600 gallons per hour. The systems rid the water of virtually all bacteria, viruses and other pathogens.
Splash writes, "There is a lot of room for misguided giving on behalf of charitable organizations and a tremendous amount of room for failure in setting up sustainable practices. Working with high-end water filtration and purification equipment in impoverished and underdeveloped settings is certainly no exception and it requires constant diligence, attention, training, monitoring, maintenance and in-country support to be successful."
Towards that end, Splash provides every site with 5 years' worth of spare provisions, and routine post-installation water testing to ensure flawless functioning of the systems. Splash's goal is to provide full-time Splash staff and support in every country helped, as well as secondary support through partner organizations in those countries, and tertiary support from the sites' staffs. This tri-level safety approach is absolutely necessary for sustainability, and tremendously successful.
Splash (formerly A Child's Right) works to change the lives of vulnerable children in the impoverished urban areas by providing clean, safe drinking water to orphanages, schools, children's hospitals, street shelters and rescue homes.
Free Standard Shipping in the U.S. on your entire cart when you donate $15.00 or more in our Gift That Gives More™ program. See Current Promotions for details.
Why a Gift That Gives More™ is a smart, effective donation.
100% of your donation will go to the program described above as a grant through GreaterGood.org. GreaterGood stores do not receive any profit from donations through this Gift That Gives More™; we bring it to you in the spirit of the greater good. We even pay the credit card transaction fee, so every cent of your donation goes to charity.
Please note: A free downloadable certificate is available to print for easy gift giving for any non-disaster related Gift That Gives More™. The "gift message" field during check-out does not apply to your Gift That Gives More™ certificate.
Your donation is 100% tax-deductible in the U.S.A.
You will receive a receipt from GreaterGood.org for your taxes. GreaterGood.org has ultimate authority and discretion with regard to the distribution of its funds. All expenditures made are consistent with the exempt purposes of GreaterGood.org.
Check with your employer: your company may match your donation.
People buying this item also bought:
One of our favorites!
One of our favorites!